Sabado, Hunyo 11, 2011

Filipino Language





Diagnostic test are examinations or laboratory works meant to determine the specific illness of a person. (That’s medically.)
Until...my 7 year old kid asked me what it was...and, well, that’s what I said.
“What does it really mean mommy? Because we had a diagnostic test.” She asked.

“How many did you get anak?” I smiled.
“2 over 30 in Filipino. But I got high in other subjects.”She was avoiding my gaze.
“Anak, it means your brain is diseased when it comes to Filipino subject.” I’m trying hard not to tease.
Although we speak  Filipino language at home...she got still low result. Why!
 Obviously, written and spoken Filipino languages are NOT the same thing.
The topics being learned about written Filipino language at school these days sometimes sounds bizarre. Sure, I have also learned those during early school days. But aside from passing it as prerequisite subjects, I never get to use it EVER.
Letters  from the BIR, newborn screening, credit card, electric and telephone bills are English. There is no written communication ever in Filipino, zero. And in business deals, contracts or receipts, everything is done in English. Even math and science, subpoena, school entrance exams and professional board exams are English. I prescribe in English.
While spoken Filipino language is also used to exchange information and ideas, the language has evolved so much that it’s NOT what it is learned in school today. It's so far off.
Who uses proper written Filipino language these days? ...Only the scholarly Filipino.
My advice: “Anak, you need to memorize Filipino or else you’d have low grades.”